May 31, 2007
Apparently, Sissy thought I needed something to post about, so she tagged me with a meme. Of course, I got right to it.
Here are the rules: Pick out ten favorite movies, then look them up at IMDb. In the overview at the top of each movie's page, there are "Plot Keywords," usually five of them. (Plus more, if you click the link.) Take the first five, and post them. Then the rest of us get to play movie buff and see if we can guess them.
1. Machine Gun / Accidental Killing / Blood Splatter / Hunting / Severed Finger --- Snatch
2. Poker Player / Poker / Vomit Scene / Black Comedy / Robbery --- Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
3. Anachronistic / British / Eccentric / No Ending / Corporeal Mortification --- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
4. Snake Oil / Medicine Show / Corruption / Deception / Impostor --- The Inspector General
5. Wench / Hypnotism / Fox / Poison / Reverse Footage --- The Court Jester
6. On The Road / Parody / Race / Conflict / Car --- The Great Race
7. Beautiful Daughter / Dragon / Blacksmith / Expedition / Norway --- Eric the Viking
8. Christmas / Horse / Beautiful Woman / Safecracker / Horse Racing --- The Lemon Drop Kid
9. Latin America / Remake / Satire / Silent Movie Star / Spoof --- °Three Amigos!
10. Furnace / Obsession / Paranoia / Peeping Tom / Xenophobia --- The 'Burbs
I'll not tag anyone... first off because I'm a damn nice guy, and secondly, because everyone has already done it.
Some of these movies are older than you might think.
May 30, 2007
May 23, 2007
So... you're wondering how the show went, last night? Allow me to say that it kicked ass. For the most part, anyway.
The lineup consisted of a local band (I didn't get the name) that was incredible, Invitro, Otep, and Static-X. This was the first time that I'd heard of Invitro, and I'm sorry to say that. They put on a hell of a show, and I'd have liked to see them play longer. It's safe to say that I'll be buying their disc.
Otep kicked ass musically, but I can't say that I appreciate all of the talking in between songs (it's her poetry, which is part of the package, but personally, it always seems to deaden the mood). I've seen them a couple of times, so I know that it's coming, but I still figure that if I wanted to hear a sermon, I'd go to church.
Static-X flat out rocked. Their "evil disco" (as they call their music) had plenty of folks moving, though most of them were in the mosh pits. They came out for a couple of encores, and then, after I'd already left, they came out for a third one... to everyone's surprise. They gave a bunch of shit away to those that were still there. Too cool.
This morning, I woke up feeling worse than I've felt in a long time... and I wasn't drinking. The show itself wiped me out... but it was worth it.
Every time that I see a kickass band like this, I pick up the guitar... I'm motivated for another month or so.
I guess that means that I've got to see more shows...
May 22, 2007
Damn, I'm pumped... 7:00 tonight at Forest Hills Lodge in Rockford.
Static-X, ladies and gents. I've been jonesing for a good show...
May 21, 2007
Jes' so you know...
If I like you, it's because I think you're a good person, and you've probably made me laugh quite a bit.
If I don't like you, it's because you most likely are a dick.
May 16, 2007
A Question Question
Okay... you've probably seen that I fly out to Fresno next Thursday, a chance for the potential employer and myself to get to know each other. I know that I'm going to be interviewed, that's not a real problem.
Interviewing them... that's where I may have a bit of a predicament. I'm trying to come up with questions for them, and I haven't been having much luck.
It's a little late in the month, but it's never too late to remind you that May is Motorcycle Awareness Month. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation gives us five rules for motorcyclists, and five rules for cagers:
Five rules for riders:Common sense, most of it, but you'd be surprised at how little it's used.
* Get Trained and Licensed - Take an MSF RiderCourse and get licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
* Wear Protective Gear - Wear proper protective riding gear, most importantly a helmet made to Department of Transportation standards.
* Ride Unimpaired - Ride unimpaired, never drinking or using other drugs before getting on a motorcycle.
* Ride Within Your Limits - Stay within your personal limits, never riding faster or farther than your abilities can handle.
* Be a Lifelong Learner - Be lifelong learners, regularly returning for refresher riding courses.
Five rules for car drivers:
* Look Out for Motorcyclists - Use your eyes and mirrors to see whatís around.
* Don't Be Distracted - Hang up and drive, put down the food, the pet, the personal grooming gear, the CD, and the reading material and save it for later.
* Give Two-Wheelers Some Room - Don't tailgate or get too close side-by-side.
* Use Your Turn Signals - Signal your intentions. It's also the law.
* Keep it in the Car - Donít throw trash and cigarettes out the window, and securely lash down cargo that can fall out on the road and be a deadly hazard.
Don't forget there are bikes out there... sometimes all year 'round.
May 10, 2007
Fresno, CA. May 24th and 25th.
The great Me will be there to meet with a potential employer. If you're nearby, drop me a line... we'll drop some beers.
May 07, 2007
Door County, Wisconsin, also known as "the bloody peninsula wielded by an angry 'Sconsin," is a very popular tourist destination, at least for this area. While I've yet to go there, I can tell you that it's renowned for it's cherry and apple orchards (and festivals relating to the those orchards), wineries, and state parks.
I've been asked by a reader for insights as to where to go, what to do, and favorite places to eat/drink. While I can't provide first hand accounts, you, my fellow patrons, can. So while I try to dig up some info from family that has been there, I'm asking for those of you who have been there to give some of your accounts, or list your favorites, and either leave or link to them in the comments.
I raise a beer to you in early thanks...
May 06, 2007
I was about eight when I got my first model... it came out pretty damn cool, but then I set it on fire.